Living and cycling around Radstock we are astonishingly lucky to have three of the world’s most impressive stone circles within range.
Members ride only
With COVID cases reducing to very low levels and the vaccination programme progressing well and on schedule we can now plan with some confidence for our first Club event of the year, our Summer Solstice ride set for Saturday 26th June. It is no coincidence that this is after the current planned Government Roadmap date for a fuller lifting in restrictions and even greater vaccination coverage.
We now need to push forward our plans and commit financially and therefore firm up on numbers. In its simplest form there are three aspects to the Clubs celebration of our emergence from the pandemic. There will be two ride options and an invitation to a social gathering at the Walled Garden in Mells in the evening.
- Short and relatively flat ride to Sweets Cafe on the Levels, approx 44 miles led by a ride leader. This would be ideal for members who participate in the Saturday Social/ Introductory ride.
- Faster riders who want a shorter ride are also welcome and we can group riders to accommodate different strengths where required.
- A gpx file for the route will be made available
- The groups will depart Radstock at 9am and with the cafe stop will return by 2pm, giving plenty of time to return home and freshen up for the social event in the evening.
- This Solstice themed ride will take in the stone circles of both Avebury and Stonehenge with a call into Salisbury. The ride out will be c76 miles from Radstock, there will be a bus available in Salisbury to bring riders and their bikes back, departing Salisbury at approx 5pm.
- For stronger riders they of course have the option to cycle back and following a direct route we believe this would comprise a total ride distance of c116 miles for the day.
- Riders who average c10mph will need to depart Radstock by 8am to ensure they are in good time for the bus.
- Given demand we will look to structure groups of similar strength and speeds.
- A gpx file for the route will be made available.
- For those requiring the bus to return to Radstock there will be a minimal charge of £10 per head to cover the bus hire.
Evening Social Event
- An invitation to all members and partners to a social gathering at the Walled Garden in Mells for pizza and buffet food.
- We have booked the venue from 6pm-9pm. Many of you will know the Walled Garden, it is an informal, relaxing, walled garden and a great place to celebrate the re-emergence of the Club proper from a very long period of lock downs and social distancing.
- There will be a charge of £10 per head to cover some of the costs.
To understand logistics and confirm bookings we now need to understand numbers. Therefore please either email: email@example.com or confirm on the Facebook posting confirming which ride you wish to participate in (Long or Short), whether you require the bus from Salisbury and whether you and where applicable your partner wish to attend the social gathering in Mells.
Once we have gathered the details of participants we will follow up shortly after to request payment where applicable for the bus and social event. This is to minimise the impact of “no shows”.
It will be truly great to mobilise support of our membership to enjoy what will be a great days riding with old friends and the chance to have a social in the evening.